Monday, March 24, 2008

between you and God.

BETWEEN YOU AND GOD
People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful you will win some false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you. Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight. Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough. Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.
You see, in the end, it is between you and God; it was never between you and them anyway.
–Mother Teresa

This is seriously amazing. I want to know your thoughts on this. I think She is right. It is between myself and God. And he knows my true motives, he knows the truth about everything and in the end it only matters what God thinks. He knows the truth, so therefor im not going to worry about it anymore. Being worried and holding back will only push me away from God. And having a relationship with him means more to me then anything. Even if that means I have to lose some..

Now on to my question that has nothing to really do about that.

When I pray for something over and over and over again does that mean I lack faith? Im serious. I really dont know the answer. Having Faith means "having complete confidence in a person or plan." So when I continually pray for certain things does that mean I dont have faith that God will help me with it? I feel like I do, but why do I pray the same thing over and over? If you have an answer please let me know.

Matthew 6:7-8 says:
But when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathens do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

I came across this and it confused me. So im just interested in what you guys think. I could be taking this whole verse the wrong way. sometimes I fail to see the real meaning in what im reading. I think we all do that though sometimes. That's why I think Fellowship is so important for us. The past week I have been talking to my friend about some things that are going on and its crazy how they can bust out a verse, that before they explained it to me, had no relevance to my situation. I love when God reveals things to people like that. Its like singing the same song at church every sunday and it really doesn't mean anything to you. But then the next Sunday you sing it and it hits you more then ever and all of the sudden it has meaning. That's how the bible has been for me lately. I really need to read my bible more. I lack so badly in that department. But its getting better. So you guys can pray for me k. That I can have a better understanding of Gods word and that I keep up the bible reading.

ps. My Easter update will be up in a few days! woo hoo. ;0)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat blog and it is so relevant in my life at this moment...... Why do I pray over and over for something I want. I do have a hard time praying for what I want, it seems so selfish. I feel so much love when I pray for someone else. I do sometimes lack faith but then someone or something happens and it is easily restored. Keep the faith....is my motto that I live by. I'm a closet christian. I know god in my own way and I know that he accepts that right now.
How do you feel about hypnotherapy? That is not satonic is it??
aunt deb

kari mia way said...

Great musings Ashley! I love your question. The Bible tells us over and over-commands us actually- to pray. Pray without ceasing. Pray about everything. Pray earnestly. Pray ferverently.
I like the verse in Matthew you were wondering about. Notice how it says "as the heathens do". In that time all of the false religions used prayer as a part of their worship. The prayers were incantations repeated over and over. The phrase "vain repetitions" shows us what Matthew meant. Vain means empty, conceited, meaningless, just for outward show. Matthew was saying, when you pray, be real, you are talking to your Heavenly Father. Don't just rattle off words you've memorized, thinking that the more you say them the more chance of being heard. Talk to Him, commune with Him, share your heart with Him. Sorry I wrote so much.

Morgan Jane said...

Hey Ash, great blog! I really do love that quote, and truly agree with it. As it says in Matthew, we are suposed to let our good works show so that others may glorify our Father, but again, that's for God's glory, not our own. It really all does come down to our relationship with God and why we do things; for us, for for Him.

As for the prayer, KEEP PRAYING! I don't know specifically it is you're praying for, but until God gives you a quiet peace about it, keep lifting it up. I think that verse in Matthew refers to people that almost pray for show. There's a parable somewhere of two men praying at the wall. The Pharisee is saying these huge long condeming prayers out loud so all can here him, and next to him is a humble man saying over and over, "Forgive me". I think that's a good image of what our prayer should be like, verses what it's so easy to become. AGain, prayer isn't for our glory, or for others to see, but it's between God and myself. Good questions Ashley! And keep plugging away on that Bible reading, it's apparent God's teaching you a lot!

And like Kari, I"m sorry I wrote so much. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashley, I know I haven't talked to you lately, but I love reading your blog and seeing picks of your beautiful son. I agree with Morgan and Kari. I also really like the quote. I may have to print it out and post it at work for the times I get frustrated with living in a sinful world.

I also agree that the verse is about someone praying for show and being fake, just saying a lot of words. I don't think it's wrong to pray about the same thing over and over again. I think it's actually faithful to keep bringing it to God, who you know controls all things. I would only encourage you to pray with "open palms." Praying that God's will would be done with whatever it is and he would give you a peace rather God says "yes," "no," or "wait." You're an amazing woman Ashley. It's encouraging to hear what you're learning and how you're being stretched. We all need that. Take care,
M. Maas (in Alaska)

Tyler

Tyler
beautiful

music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones